Genesis 1:26

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
AU_Tyler_AU's picture
Genesis 1:26

I started reading the bible again and I found that Genesis 1:26 says "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, ...". The thing that caught my attention was that God said US and OUR instead of me and my. I would love to know why he said it like this.

Subscription Note: 

Choosing to subscribe to this topic will automatically register you for email notifications for comments and updates on this thread.

Email notifications will be sent out daily by default unless specified otherwise on your account which you can edit by going to your userpage here and clicking on the subscriptions tab.

DesolateProphet's picture
What you are getting into is

What you are getting into is the concept of the Trinity. The “us” is the verse could be considered the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. I believe else where you will find that all things were created by the Son.

AU_Tyler_AU's picture
ahh okay thanks I wasn't sure

ahh okay thanks I wasn't sure.

Capt.Bobfm's picture
THOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER

THOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME !
There's some debate about the early books of the old testament pertaining to gods previous to Yaway.
In the old stories there may have been multiple gods and the story of Genesis may have inadvertently eluded to them in several places.
Just one of the many theories floating around.

SammyShazaam's picture
I'd love to see more on this

I'd love to see more on this :) For a while I was interested in the historical authorship of the bible (mainly as a cross reference for other historical texts of the time), and I kind of fell apart on the revisions of Genesis because it's so old, and has been doctored up so much. It was clearly at least two verifiably separate stories in the past, but I'd be shocked if it were *only* two...

I guess I'd most like to know where things have been sliced and when?

AU_Tyler_AU's picture
Yup their can be multiple

Yup their can be multiple interpretations of that so its an easy thing to debate. Capt. I have noticed you said Yaway. What does that mean?

Tom Haynes's picture
Yahweh derives from Judaism

Yahweh derives from Judaism and is the archaic term for the name of God as is Allah in Islam. It was a name pertinent to the old testament which was subsequently dropped in the new testament with the development of Christianity and its greater divergence from the father religion of Judaism

AU_Tyler_AU's picture
okay thanks!

okay thanks!

efpierce's picture
We are learning so much today

We are learning so much today aren't we?! These are the kinds of posts that I like to read if I have a busy day and just want to escape online for a while. Thank you can bob and tom!

firebolt's picture
The knowledge we gain is the

The knowledge we gain is the real reason I come here. Well, that and Shock of God's buffoonery and G Peck's tireless wit!

mattyn's picture
Yes!! I do find myself

Yes!! I do find myself looking forward to that as well! It's stuff like their banter that makes a forum interesting when the topics slow down. :)

SammyShazaam's picture
Some religious solicitors

Some religious solicitors that accosted me and my dog recently (my dog always wants to say hi to *everyone* and so it makes me look like a total jerk when I try to avoid making eye contact with people who dress like they might be in a cult) have decided that the "they" refereed to in Genesis means that God is actually a duality, male and female, and that the Earth is female, while the force is male. Sounds delightfully pagan to me!

Still, I refused their pamphlet. No matter how many gods of whatever gender, I'm not into it.

mattyn's picture
That does sound like an

That does sound like an interesting pitch they had! What religion were they touting?

SammyShazaam's picture
Some new version of

Some new version of Christianity. I'm sure it had a name, but I've forgotten it.

Ellie Harris's picture
"The knowledge we gain is the

"The knowledge we gain is the real reason I come here. Well, that and Shock of God's buffoonery and G Peck's tireless wit!"-

Awesomesauce!

Donating = Loving

Heart Icon

Bringing you atheist articles and building active godless communities takes hundreds of hours and resources each month. If you find any joy or stimulation at Atheist Republic, please consider becoming a Supporting Member with a recurring monthly donation of your choosing, between a cup of tea and a good dinner.

Or make a one-time donation in any amount.