Shadow: "I have 100% proof that Heaven does not exist!"

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sky Pilot's picture
Cognostic,

Cognostic,

"All I asked you to do was prove that God does not exist. "

To paraphrase a former poster, I don't give a flying fuck about your imaginary Gods. They are figments of your imagination and have no basis in reality. If you imagine that you have a favorite talking banana why should I be expected to prove that it doesn't exist? It's accepted reality that bananas don't talk. Ghosts, demons, devils, angels, spirits, souls, zombies, and gods don't exist either because they don't interact with this world. If any of the bastards exist they need to get off their asses and show up. Stop believing in silly ass fairy tales before you go nuts.

Aposteriori unum's picture
@Diotrephes

@Diotrephes

You seem to be making the same mistake that Shadow was...

"To paraphrase a former poster, I don't give a flying fuck about your imaginary Gods. They are figments of your imagination and have no basis in reality. "

"Stop believing in silly ass fairy tales before you go nuts."

Cognostic, is not saying that any of those things do exist or even implying that he believes they do. He's rejecting the assertion that they do not Which is not the same as accepting the assertion that they do. This is a false dichotomy.

I think that you either misunderstand the point of the conversation or you meant something entirely different than what I read in your post and quoted above.

Cognostic's picture
@Aposteriori Unum" They just

@Aposteriori Unum" They just don't get it. They are bound to be angry little atheists out there in the world spouting off and making the rest of us look bad. Belief in the non-existence of god is nearly as prejudicial, bigoted, and illogical as belief in the existence of God. Making unsubstantiated claims is something only the ignorant participate in. I am happy to entertain the idea that a God does no exist once it has been defined. Absent a definition, it is ignorance to assume belief in the non-existence of God or god. It is the atheist position not to believe in God or Gods. The two positions are not the same.

Cognostic's picture
Excellent. I also play the

Excellent. I also play the anti-theist on occasion and can put up one hell of an argument against the existence of God with history, the problem of evil, science and more. But when one takes up that position we must know which god we are talking about. Sweeping generalizations are not "Generally" (ha ha ha ) a part of the Atheists tool kit. I think most of the actual evidence points to "No reason for believing in a god." Actually proving that the god is not there occurs only with a small leap of logic - not faith - a justified leap once the groundwork is laid. (It's still a leap.)

Aposteriori unum's picture
Proving that gods in general

Proving that gods in general don't exist or that none do may be impossible, but proving that a particular god doesn't exist, such as yahweh, as defined by most Christians who believe in him, is. Because, by their definitions... the traits in which they attribute to their deity are logically inconsistent. For example free will of humanity and omniscience of the creator diety cannot both exist. The only thing this really proves, though, is that by that definition of god it cannot exist. It doesn't necessarily mean that one does not; only that that one, with those attributes does not. ( however I'm making points for dio and shadow that they have not here made.)

Cognostic's picture
I doubt the OP understands

I doubt the OP understands Logically Inconsistent. "Its like a four sided triangle." Once God is defined, it becomes inconsistent with its definition. By definition a triangle has 3 sides. No triangle has four sides by definition.

@ For example free will of humanity and omniscience of the creator deity cannot both exist.

If god knows everything beforehand, even his own actions, there is no free will. If you have free will, then God has no idea at all what will happen next and he is not omnipotent.

@ Aposteriori Unum
Sorry. Your post is completely clear to me and probably to everyone else on the forum. I just thought the OP might need a bit more explanation. He seems to be struggling a bit with the information provided.

LOL... I also don't know if I helped at all.

Pages

Donating = Loving

Heart Icon

Bringing you atheist articles and building active godless communities takes hundreds of hours and resources each month. If you find any joy or stimulation at Atheist Republic, please consider becoming a Supporting Member with a recurring monthly donation of your choosing, between a cup of tea and a good dinner.

Or make a one-time donation in any amount.