911 or 119

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
NameRemovedByMod's picture
911 or 119

Many people think that politics should be left out of forums like this. They think Hollywood people should keep their opinions to themselves at awards shows. They think that if you protest you are not patriotic. Some have this diluted thought that you must not question your leaders. We have all been conditioned to think a certain way.

I am not one to follow blindly. It is in my nature to go against the grain, to question, to be skeptical, but not to the point of being paranoid. A person has the right to believe a certain way and to even vote a certain way. However while everyone has an opinion that they are entitled to, what they are not entitled to is their own facts.

So most people see 911 as the worst day they can remember in their lifetime. Mine would be 119, the day after the worst election we have ever seen. Our country has lost it's freedom, it's civil liberties and it's sanity. People are filled with hate for others. They feel like they won some great victory against us liberals. Their thinking has been conditioned by right wing noise, that has clouded any logical thinking. They have suspended all reason and logic for a man that is just as bad a threat to our future as Hitler was.

I have not been the same since 119, and while I know I am not alone, this does little to comfort me. I don't think that anyone can fathom that this is just the beginning of the end of any rational kind of government. The only legal recourse we have is to protest and not be silent.

If you keep your head in the sand long enough, you will eventually come out only to discover that you don't recognize anything going on around you. The most patriotic thing you can do is to open your mouth and let the ones in power know that while are freedoms are being taken away, we will never be silenced, we will never let fear mongering control or paralyze us. We will fight back with every fiber of our being. That is what being patriotic is.

We do not have four years to just sit and wait or this false hope that things will change. The change will come when you realize that you must stand up and be counted. Never surrender. Resistance is not futile. It is necessary!

Subscription Note: 

Choosing to subscribe to this topic will automatically register you for email notifications for comments and updates on this thread.

Email notifications will be sent out daily by default unless specified otherwise on your account which you can edit by going to your userpage here and clicking on the subscriptions tab.

algebe's picture
@thelargerbowl

@thelargerbowl
"So most people see 911 as the worst day they can remember in their lifetime."

Well that's an interesting statement. It kind of belittles a lot of other worst days, like everyday someone arrived at Auschwitz to be murdered for their religious heritage, or more recently everyday on which people were slaughtered by religious fanatics in places like Rwanda, Nigeria and Syria. Horror didn't start or end on 911.

As far as the recent election is concerned, well yes I do think politics should be kept out of a forum like this, except where it overlaps with religion. So I'd like to hear your views about the role of religion and churches in the election. I don't want to hear about right and left, liberal and conservative, Republican and Democrat. They're meaningless and very parochial labels.

As an outside observer, the only comment I'd make on the US political situation is that those who feel aggrieved by the recent election result should think again about the meaning of democracy. This is a time when the Democrats and their supporters need to look like a responsible government-in-waiting offering positive input and constructive criticism. And Hilary Clinton should make it her moment by leading that. Instead what I'm seeing is disorder in the streets, childish behavior by politicians, and overpaid, ego-stuffed clowns like Alec Baldwin making fun of your elected president. All that will do is strengthen Donald Trump's hold over his supporters and give him excuses when things go wrong.

NameRemovedByMod's picture
To clarify, I meant most

To clarify, I meant most Americans look at 911 as the worst day. I was not making lite of other atrocities. However religion and politics are mixed whether we like it or not. The right wing conservative christian base has done this, so you cannot just shrug it off as an opinion. It is a fact that most all bible believing christians are republicans. They make it well known. Maybe you don't pay as close attention to this as you should.

I also am glad that Hollywood and especially Saturday Night Live with Alec Baldwin are pointing out how insane trump is. I think he does an exceptional job of showing how screwed up he is. Trumps supporters loathe the show because it shows just how bad he is. I am living in the USA and have attended many protests against this lunatic. As far as religion goes, I am not a believer in nay religion, which is why I am here.

You don't want to talk about politics? Well the christians have done more damage than any other religion in the USA and they helped put trump into power. I loathe them for not only this , but their beliefs.

biggus dickus's picture
Yo Biggus here. Yes you have

Yo Biggus here. Yes you have my empathy.but although The world is not in its best state right now there were allot of worst times to be alive. I experienced many of them of which are the fall of the Roman empire,the end of the enlightenment,the rise of fascism and now Donald trump. To be honest he isn't the best president ever but he is far from the worst.if he ran 50 years ago he would be an arch liberal. So take Biggus's advice and always look on the bright side. Now that I think about it Biggus might run for president himself.

Endri Guri's picture
What really bothered me as

What really bothered me as someone not part of the U.S (or even a citizen of the country), is that the American people have degraded (not generalizing all of them) to an ignorant and arrogant people who are fueled by an aimless hate and idiotic patriotism. I really found stupidifying how people couldn't resist simple demagoguery and look to the other side.
Nobody asked Trump "how are we gonna fix this? Or how are we gonna do this?" they just screamed to his "saying it as it is" words. I don't get how people think he's a great candidate when he says things "as they are", that's not a factor, that's as dumb as saying that Hitler wasn't a Nazi. He was just offending other candidates when other Politicians didn't do it, nothing special about someone who just thinks the World is resolving around him.

I'm not saying Hillary was a good candidate either, people had to choose from a Idiotic Demagogue Pathological Liar and a Corrupt Traitorous Money-lashing Whore, which would be hard for me if I ever had a choice.

In MY opinion, the best candidate throughout this entire Electoral Campaign was Bernie Sanders. He talked about problems straight through the people, he told them a way to fix it, he gave them a choice. A bird even landed on his podium, that's a clear sign of God's will (You would understand if you were the Pope in the 14th Century)! Poor man, I swear he could've been as good or even better than Obama, I hope he lives the next 4 years to run again, I would love to vote for him if I ever come to the U.S or if the WWIII doesn't start.

Nyarlathotep's picture
Endri - [H. Clinton is a]

Endri - [H. Clinton is a] Corrupt Traitorous Money-lashing Whore

Wow, I'm not a Clinton supporter, but I find that description to be pretty harsh.

Endri Guri's picture
Sorry, emotions....

Sorry, emotions....

biggus dickus's picture
Yes Biggus voted for Bernie.

Yes Biggus voted for Bernie. although he is no Biggus he is the 2nd best man for the job.

Endri Guri's picture
You deserve your title....

You deserve your title.... Imperator Biggus Penissus Ballsickus

Nyarlathotep's picture
Because of the election laws,

Because of the election laws, I wasn't allowed to vote for Bernie.

algebe's picture
"Biggus voted for Bernie"

"Biggus voted for Bernie"

It must have been a shock for you when the plebs picked Nautius Maximus as emperor.

Donating = Loving

Heart Icon

Bringing you atheist articles and building active godless communities takes hundreds of hours and resources each month. If you find any joy or stimulation at Atheist Republic, please consider becoming a Supporting Member with a recurring monthly donation of your choosing, between a cup of tea and a good dinner.

Or make a one-time donation in any amount.