Atheism vs Agnostic (video #28 may 2015)

99 posts / 0 new
Last post
Whitefire13's picture
@Sheldon and Lion...

@Sheldon and Lion...

I need for you to “see this” statement the way it sounds to me. I’ve kept the wording the same, just changed out the theme for another popular assertion/claim.

2. If two ABDUCTEES are both reporting the real experience of (for example) an ABDUCTION or a UFO in the clouds, and the first ABDUCTEE names that ALIEN GREY while the second ABTUCTEE names the ALIEN REPTILIAN, they are both (unintentionally) corroborating each other's sensory experience of evidence for what they both believe - ALIEN ABDUCTIONS.

BTW at least these “witnesses” are around to talk to...

Sheldon's picture
The analogy is too facile for

The analogy is mildly interesting, but a little facile to me sorry. Get Lion IRC to claim that all deities are basically the same, and that he is a deist and not a monotheist, then we can take his claim from there, but it is a little facile to pretend a generic term like alien abductions is remotely comparable with one person using unevidenced subjective personal experience to claim they know Jesus is real, and another that Thor is real.

Though I grant you that Jesus and Thor are to all intents and purposes the same, at least in the sense they are both claimed to be deities, and not accurately defined with evidence for that definition, and of course in the fact that no objective evidence can be demonstrated for either. A more accurate comparisons for me is that one is claiming personal experience evidences alien abductions, while the other that personal experience evidences garden fairies, as they're both supernatural, and Lion IRC is claiming these somehow corroborate each other, but refusing to believe in all such claims bar one. Then hilariously suggesting that because his personal experiences involve using his senses, and so does scientific method, this somehow makes his unevidenced claims comparable to scientific facts, which can be objectively evidenced, are falsifiable, and when tested must produce identical results.

Lion's claim is too too hilarious...sorry. A better comparison is this, my senses experienced a unicorn, scientists use their senses, therefore it is scientifically valid that unicorns exist.

Now.. explain why, if his claim is valid, that one is not? Or have we scientifically evidenced unicorns, or at least the "evidence" for them is on a par with scientific facts. Which is Lion's rationale here.

So I'm afraid, Lion's claim is risible nonsense.

Whitefire13's picture
Gotcha .. garden fairies.

Gotcha .. garden fairies.

Still stuck on what the fuck takes my socks?!?! Only the ones coming out of the dryer...

Thanks Sheldon

Edited to add: unicorns (gotcha). But according to the god Kimmy Jong-Un unicorns exist in N Korea - fuck I’m confused... ;)

boomer47's picture
@Whitefire

@Whitefire

"Gotcha .. garden fairies."

Yet people want to believe in fairies and such.

My favourite example is that of the Cottingley Fairies. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle** was taken in. He even wrote a non fiction book. "The Coming Of The Fairies'

"The Cottingley Fairies appear in a series of five photographs taken by Elsie Wright (1901–1988) and Frances Griffiths (1907–1986), two young cousins who lived in Cottingley, near Bradford in England. In 1917, when the first two photographs were taken, Elsie was 16 years old and Frances was 9. The pictures came to the attention of writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who used them to illustrate an article on fairies he had been commissioned to write for the Christmas 1920 edition of The Strand Magazine. Doyle, as a spiritualist, was enthusiastic about the photographs, and interpreted them as clear and visible evidence of psychic phenomena. Public reaction was mixed; some accepted the images as genuine, others believed that they had been faked."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies

I first saw the pictures in a private collection, in 1971. My immediate reaction was that they are obvious fakes.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

**Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was also slo heavily into spiritualism . I suspect he was desperate to believe in all kinds of woo because of the loss of his son in WW1

Sheldon's picture
@cranky47

@cranky47

Was CD's wife a psychic as well? Yeah Houdini had a field day exposing some of their nonsense...

Sheldon's picture
@Whitefire13

@Whitefire13

Lost socks have usually found their way inside other items, trousers, pillow cases, duvet covers etc etc...

If you tumble dry stuff this happens a lot.

Whitefire13's picture
@Sheldon... really?!?! Oh

@Sheldon... really?!?! Oh fuckers! When I flip my sheet to put on my bed, and a sock comes flying out, I’ve always just thanked the fairies for returning it ...

I thought maybe they use them as sleeping-bags...

boomer47's picture
@Sheldon

@Sheldon

"Though I grant you that Jesus and Thor are to all intents and purposes the same,'"

No, not really. To begin with; Jesus was nailed to a cross, Thor carries a bloody great hammer-----------.

Pages

Donating = Loving

Heart Icon

Bringing you atheist articles and building active godless communities takes hundreds of hours and resources each month. If you find any joy or stimulation at Atheist Republic, please consider becoming a Supporting Member with a recurring monthly donation of your choosing, between a cup of tea and a good dinner.

Or make a one-time donation in any amount.