In 200 years will humans live into 160's?

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
jamiebgood1's picture
In 200 years will humans live into 160's?

I read an article about the lifespan of humans 200 years ago. Living to age 30 was considered a long life. I know vacinations, preventative care, and so many more things have gone into prolonging our lives. Is it crazy to think we could double our average lifespan in 200 years?

Subscription Note: 

Choosing to subscribe to this topic will automatically register you for email notifications for comments and updates on this thread.

Email notifications will be sent out daily by default unless specified otherwise on your account which you can edit by going to your userpage here and clicking on the subscriptions tab.

Stu. K.'s picture
http://www.knowyourmobile.com

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google/google-x-labs/21813/humans-will-be-...

Whether this will turn out to be true or not, I don't know. But it's the Google Executives' word against ours.

jamiebgood1's picture
That is very cool. Thanx Stu

That is very cool. Thanx Stu

chimp3's picture
I am 57 years old. I would

I am 57 years old. I would love to double my life span. I am just getting started.

BAACKJD's picture
In 200 years I suppose most

In 200 years I suppose most will die of diabetes by the time they're 40.

mykcob4's picture
I watched a PBS documentary

I watched a PBS documentary on this subject. A Stanford scientist believes that the max time that a human could possibly live is about 140 years give or take a year or two. The fact is that corporate America wants people to live forever and to have as many babies as possible. The reason is they would pay interest forever. Thus the corporate sponsorship against Pro-Choice and the fight against consumer rights.

algebe's picture
@Mykcob4: "corporate America

@Mykcob4: "corporate America wants people to live forever and to have as many babies as possible. The reason is they would pay interest forever."

What makes you think that? Pay interest on what? Don't people get through paying their mortgages by retirement age in America?

The Japanese corporates that I deal with are all very worried about aging and the falling birth rate. Retired people are on fixed incomes, so they aren't great consumers, and they don't buy cars and houses. There's also a labor shortage, so new high school/university graduates are at a premium.

"A Stanford scientist believes that the max time that a human could possibly live is about 140 years give or take a year or two."

When a distinguished scientist says something is possible, he's nearly always right. When he says something is impossible, he's probably wrong. --Arthur C. Clarke.

LogicFTW's picture
Sadly in the US, many people

Sadly in the US, many people do not finish paying off their mortgage by the time they retire. Many have to delay retirement for that reason as well. Many many more end up having to rent, and then eventually end up in very expensive retirement homes. Senior poverty is actually a large issue in the US. And is slated to only get worse as social security and medicaid/medicare in the US gets closer to collapse and the retirement ages go up and the cost of living adjustments go down.

As you well know Japan has a large issue with many retirees and fewer working age people. This issue is going to hit the US, maybe not as hard, but with increasing ramifications over the next decade.

Jared Alesi's picture
In Indonesia, a man just died

In Indonesia, a man just died in 2016 at 146 years old. Some time prior, a woman lived to 157, also from Indonesia. Both were chain smokers. Weird.

LogicFTW's picture
*Blink blink* Oh. Carry on.

*Blink blink*

Oh.

Carry on.

algebe's picture
Back in the days of the old

Back in the days of the old Soviet Union, we used to see news reports about 160-year-olds in Georgia. Apparently the healthy communist life style did wonders for longevity. We believed them, just as we believed Soviet industrial production figures.

SecularSonOfABiscuitEater's picture
Chain smokers of weed?

Chain smokers of weed?

mykcob4's picture
This also brings to mind the

This also brings to mind the quality of life. Corporate America doesn't care if you have the capability to live with mobility and cognitiveness. The fact that you are alive and earning money that you can pay to them is enough.

LogicFTW's picture
They are making real progress

They are making real progress on diabetes, VICE latest weekly episode talked about a new diabetes medication coming out of cuba that can really improve full blown diabetes 2 outcomes, by greatly reducing the loss of limb to diabetes.

Plus, if you stay on top of your diabetes indicators (blood glucose tests) and cut out all forms of sugar/fake sugar in your diet, you can cure yourself quickly, you just have realize all forms of sugars, starches, carbs, alcohols etc, that your body converts to sugars. + some exercise reverses prediabetes nearly 100% of the time

Our bodies are by design, meant to break down and die, a few rare other animal species do not, scientist may well be able to greatly slow and possibly reverse this process perhaps learning from other animals that do not age.

As societies get educated and rise out of poverty, the amount of babies had per capable women drops. Almost all first world countries have negative population growth from 2nd or higher generation citizens. Only via immigration do the populations of first world countries continue to rise. Enhanced life span length will only be available to the very rich at first and may filter down to the middle class "rich" after a few decades. All of these population segments tend to be below the 2.2 babies per capable mother threshold of population growth.

This is already occuring.

"you can cure yourself

"you can cure yourself quickly, you just have realize all forms of sugars, starches, carbs, alcohols etc, that your body converts to sugars. + some exercise reverses prediabetes nearly 100% of the time"

ALL sugars? That is unrealistic given the food available in the US. My Dad is Diabetic and I'd love for that to be a practical option but it's not.

Nyarlathotep's picture
SecularSOBALL sugars? That is

SecularSOB - ALL sugars? That is unrealistic given the food available in the US...My Dad is Diabetic and I'd love for that to be a practical option but it's not.

Yeah it would be almost impossible, and fatal if you managed to succeed.

LogicFTW's picture
Well, yes the body breaks

Well, yes the body breaks down all food into glucose sugar fuel for the most part. But, visit some diabetes support boards, step away from big pharma's insulin shots (in a controlled manner if you are dependent), and control your own diet, this is not recommended if you are severely diabetic.

But much of the major sugars can be avoided quite well stepping away from processed foods and restaurant/fast food. Stick to the sides of most food stores, avoid the middle. Make and cook your own food. My mother was a success story, she stuck to veggies and meat and dairy, emphasizing veggies, and avoiding fake sugars. She went from the first stages of diabetes to a healthy glucose level that does not spike. And she can now even eat moderate amount of carbs without spiking her insulin levels. The cool thing is, people can try the diet while still on insulin medication, and just try it for a few weeks and see if the results work for them. Which what they always recommend to do over on the diabetes support boards anyways.

Nyarlathotep's picture
LogicForTW - visit some

LogicForTW - visit some diabetes support boards

That is about the last place I'd go for information on a subject; doubly so for any topic related to diet/nutrition.

LogicFTW's picture
Certainly on those community

Certainly on those community forums if someone was selling some sort of magic pill to help you lose weight, for "a free trial" I would be highly suspicious, many of those boards like this one ban any sort of "selling."
I feel community forums can be a good alternative to the commercialized aspect of many other avenues. Kind of like how these boards provide a different avenue to controlled interest of churches.

But absolutely anything said on community forums needs to be taken with a big grain of salt, anyone can say anything. They key thing I look for myself is where is the money? Community boards offering advice that does not lead to anyone making extra money has a special kind of value as an alternative source of information.

Doctors should be a good authority, but one also has to recognize there is a lot of big money in the field of medicine. I have a couple of family members that are doctors, one of them deals a lot with diabetes patients and he sees the same story happen over and over again. Even they, (any doctor,) of course, will tell you the same, cut sugars. This suggested diet plan tries to sell nothing, just take it a step further and cut out as many forms of easy forms of glucose as possible that forces the body to produce insulin.

I am with you though, there is a million and one diet/nutrition plans out there, ranging from mediocre to flat out insane, and everyone's bodies and genetics are different to how they respond to various diets.

Diet, nutrition and beauty products, are some of the biggest sources of scams and snake oil there is. Merchants preying on people trying to fill a powerful need created by our society.

But I feel dismissing all support/discussion boards on a subject just because there might be some diet advice on it is simply just narrowing available information to you.

First of all, I'm really glad

First of all, I'm really glad your mother is in good health, That's great news.

Now I ask, you mean as in the first stages involving the normal glucose tolerance, then abnormal tolerance, then stage 3 Type1 Diabetes? if so, I can see a reverse in the first two stages. As far as I've studied, It's unlikely after stage 3. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a professional dietitian but, I had to learn a ton of nutritional material in addition to it's relation to diabetes just to get my PT license. In the book it says that (in regards to Type1) a dietary mix of fat, carbs, and protein can be scheduled to maintain healthy levels of glucose in the blood. The thing is that if we're to look at Type 2, the body's inability to create glycogen to store excess glucose. I don't see how those methods are gonna work.

LogicFTW's picture
You likely know more than I

You likely know more than I do about this subject, my knowledge on it is mostly anecdotal, I just saw the success my mom had. As far as I know it works for both types of diabetes, my mother had the more common type 2, but only the earlier stages of it. She could still create the insulin/glycogen from my understanding of it, just not enough to normally regulate her glucose levels. She started on insulin, and regulary monitored her sugar levels, she then tried this diet in conjunction with insulin, and found she needed less and less insulin, while still monitoring her blood levels very closely, until she no longer needed insulin shots.

She then did follow up visits with her doctor and they declared she no longer had diabetes or even pre diabetes issues after 6 months on the above mentioned diet. They told her to still regularly check her sugar levels, come in for bi yearly check ups and that she will always be at high risk for re-developing diabetes. That was almost 4 years ago now, so far so good. She has re-introduced some sugars, mainly in the form of carbs, but she tries to stick to complex carbs, and the better starches. She still avoids real/fake sugar as much as possible in their refined form.

She would tell you, once you get off the sugar habit, and get over the sugar crash, and got used to shopping around easy sugars its actually quite easy to avoid. Everything process taste far too sweet.

Logic I'm happy to hear that.

Logic I'm happy to hear that. She's a champ and also very impressive with her discipline.

" She could still create the insulin/glycogen from my understanding of it, just not enough to normally regulate her glucose levels."

Correct, so the insulin shot would have been necessary from that point.

" She still avoids real/fake sugar as much as possible in their refined form."

100% correct. Refined sugar/ processed foods were the type to avoid from my studies. We're on the same page.

Those results are interesting. I'll do some more research on that.

Nyarlathotep's picture
See I'm already getting

See I'm already getting suspicious. When I see phrases like "refined sugar", "fake sugar", "processed foods", "big pharma"; my skeptic alarm starts to beep.

LogicFTW's picture
I agree. My skeptic alarm

I agree. My skeptic alarm comes up too when words like that come up. Certainly internet based things that mention stuff like that.

Refined sugar itself is pretty unique, it should be classified as a drug, it has all the traits. If you have an interest in the subject, read: Sugar Blues, written back in the 1950's I think, right around when refined sugar started to really take off, in large part due to WW2. Part of the reason to hold back some of the skepticism alarms is that no one is trying to sell or make a profit when suggesting trying to cut sugars out of your diet for possible positive health outcomes.

Some of the first ever trade routes were not spice and silks, but instead beet sugar. Wine and mead grew in popularity in part because of all the sugar/sweet involved. The history of sugar in our culture is fascinating.

Also, studies have been done of processed foods and foods high in sugar or easily converted to sugars like simple carbs have a powerful correlation with diabetes, rich in oil middle east countries that have recently adopted western cultures diet high in sugars and processed foods have seen their diabetes rates skyrocket.

We cannot control our genetics, but we can control what we eat and drink for better health outcomes.

Nyarlathotep's picture
Some things to keep in mind:

Some things to keep in mind:
---------------------------------------------------

• Refined sugar (table sugar) is basically just fructose and glucose.
  • The simple sugar in a piece of fruit is fructose and glucose.
  • The sugar in high fructose corn syrup is (you guessed it) fructose and glucose.

It isn't radical to suggest that many people consume too much glucose and fructose; but the suggestion that some of these sugars are different contradicts Dalton's 2nd postulate (one of the foundations of chemistry).
---------------------------------------------------
Homo sapiens digestive tract has evolved to be dependent on processed food. It would be difficult to survive without it.

LogicFTW's picture
Ah, I mean highly processed

Ah, I mean highly processed food like: hamburger helper, or most foods you find in most older style fast food chains. Foods like white wonder bread, and plain pasta. Foods that are processed in a way that makes extracting sugars from them so easy you can taste the sugar break down process as it begins in your mouth. Like how a saltine cracker tastes sweet in your mouth if you chew it for a bit, even though the cracker it self has no added sugars.

CyberLN's picture
Sugar is sugar but I'll take

Sugar is sugar but I'll take it in the form of an orange instead of a teaspoon of the granulated stuff. At least that way I'm also getting vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

LogicFTW's picture
Oh yeah, I think everyone

Oh yeah, I think everyone would agree with you that sugar from an orange is a better source than pure refined simple white sugar. But for someone that is getting increasingly diabetic and their body can no longer produce enough insulin to cover the spikes in sugar from easy/fast sugar sources (metabolically), cutting out those foods can be highly beneficial for some people if well monitored.

Sugar is not really the problem by itself, it is the incredible quantities of "easy" sugar that is present in many people's diet that begins to create major issues.

jamiebgood1's picture
LogicForTW

LogicForTW
Whats ur message name. I just sent a message to logiclover and am thinking thats wrong.

LogicFTW's picture
Definetly not logiclover. :)

Definetly not logiclover. :) Hmm wonder why logicfortw would not also work...my username on this site is: logic for the win
If that is what you need to message me.

jamiebgood1's picture
Nope, its probably my special

Nope, its probably my special computer skill. I've message a couple logical names earlier. Did u use logicfortw as ur original user name?

Pages

Donating = Loving

Heart Icon

Bringing you atheist articles and building active godless communities takes hundreds of hours and resources each month. If you find any joy or stimulation at Atheist Republic, please consider becoming a Supporting Member with a recurring monthly donation of your choosing, between a cup of tea and a good dinner.

Or make a one-time donation in any amount.