The Age of Consent
This topic is in response to a question from a theist on these pages who supports and excuses pre teen marriage and sexual activity with older men. Specifically the full sexual penetration of a nine year old by a 50 year old man.
Sorry if it distresses some readers, it certainly distresses me.
You can read some of the justifications offered here https://www.atheistrepublic.com/forums/debate-room/god-paradox?page=3#co...
Just so everyone can read what prompted this OP here are the theist's answers to my questions:
1. Do you think that the marriage of a six year old to a 50 year old man is moral?
Answer: "YES" with equivocation
2. Do you think the sexual penetration of a nine year old by a 50plus year old man is moral? 'Married' or not?
Your answer: YES
3. Do you think a six year old can give informed consent to sexual acts such as "thighing?"?
Your answer; "YES"
4. Do you think a nine year old can give informed, free consent to full penetrative sex with a 50 year old man?
Your answer "YES"
5. Are there any circumstances that you can explain where such acts are ethical and moral?
Your answer? YES
There are more attempted excuses for such behavior, equally as sickening to my moral sense, in that thread; the questions asked to me as a form of moral justification of his views were as follows:
- What according to you is the appropriate age of consent?
- Let’s say for example, that a 13 year old school girl has sex with her 17 year old boyfriend? Is it morally right or wrong?
- Is there any limit on the age difference between the bride and the groom in a marriage? Say for example, would you say an age difference greater than 30 years would not be okay, or something like that?
I do not propose to answer these questions in the OP...for a start the first answer will require a wall of text and quotes that will discourage interested parties from reading all of this topic.
Therefore I shall answer each 'question' below in the 'replies section', You can pick what you wish to read!
Choosing to subscribe to this topic will automatically register you for email notifications for comments and updates on this thread.
Email notifications will be sent out daily by default unless specified otherwise on your account which you can edit by going to your userpage here and clicking on the subscriptions tab.