Scientific facts in the Quran revealed 1438 years ago - CHALLENGE

103 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ramo Mpq's picture
Scientific facts in the Quran revealed 1438 years ago - CHALLENGE

Salam Alaykum to everyone,

My name is man in search of the truth, based off my name you can tell why a Muslim like me would even be in a website/forum like this. I will keep this short, there are many, many scientific facts that were revealed in the Quran over 1400 years ago. While many of them have (some scholars say as many as 80%) have been proven to be scientifically true and accurate. Can anyone here point to one single scientific fact or revelation the Quran brought forth has proven 100% to be false and dis-proven? There are many such as the big bang, human embryo, light of the moon and etc....

I would like to issue a friendly challenge to all on these forums to present 1 scientific fact that has been 100% dis-proven. Please use credible sources when citing, Wikipedia is NOT a credible source on anything

Subscription Note: 

Choosing to subscribe to this topic will automatically register you for email notifications for comments and updates on this thread.

Email notifications will be sent out daily by default unless specified otherwise on your account which you can edit by going to your userpage here and clicking on the subscriptions tab.

Nyarlathotep's picture
Man in search - I would like

Man in search - I would like to issue a friendly challenge to all on these forums to present 1 scientific fact that has been 100% dis-proven.

How exactly would someone disprove any fact?

Ramo Mpq's picture
"How exactly would someone

"How exactly would someone disprove any fact?"

Using science since i am talking about scientific facts

Nyarlathotep's picture
I still don't understand how

I still don't understand how anyone could disprove any fact.

/e Maybe you could give an example?

Ramo Mpq's picture
@Nyarlathotep

@Nyarlathotep

For example

1: ORIGIN OF LIFE

Water is essential for all living things. We all know that water is vital to life, but the Quran makes a very unusual claim:

“WE MADE EVERY LIVING THING FROM WATER? WILL THEY NOT BELIEVE?”[21:30]

In this verse, water is pointed out as the origin of all life. All living things are made of cells. We now know that cells are mostly made up of water. For example, 80% of the cytoplasm (basic cell material) of a standard animal cell is described as water in biology textbooks.

The fact that living things consist mostly of water was discovered only after the invention of the microscope. In the deserts of Arabia, the last thing someone would have guessed is that all life came from water.

Does science confirm or deny this? There are many other but this is just one of them

Sapporo's picture
The qur'an also says man was

The qur'an also says man was made from clay.

In reality, most life is not formed from water, but from air.

Nyarlathotep's picture
You said you wanted facts

You said you wanted facts disproved. Your example is not an example of a fact being disproved.

Dave Matson's picture
Man in search o...

Man in search o...

Even an ancient camel driver could see that after drying in the sun a plant or animal was a heck of a lot lighter! Animals needed water. Plants needed water. Obviously, they were largely water. Moreover, life is not made from water! Water is a major component of cells, but describing cells as made from water is just plain wrong. I see no modern science here.

Sheldon's picture
Water is essential for all

Water is essential for all living things. We all know that water is vital to life, but the Quran makes a very unusual claim:

“WE MADE EVERY LIVING THING FROM WATER? WILL THEY NOT BELIEVE?”

We weren't made from water though, we weren't made at all unless someone can demonstrate proper evidence for the claim. Distorting vague platitudes from the koran and pretending they represent the authors discovering scientific facts only shows your obvious bias in favour of your religious beliefs. Even if it were true it wouldn't evidence the existence of a deity or anything supernatural, why on earth would it?

Jared Alesi's picture
How about the fact that the

How about the fact that the moon never split in half?

Ramo Mpq's picture
@ jared

@ jared

The splitting of the moon is a miracle, i asked about scientific facts. Whether the moon split or not is not the topic of this thread. Please try sticking to the main topic and later on we can venture off to different topics or you can start your own thread and i will happily share my views and thoughts

Sapporo's picture
'The Hour (of Judgment) is

'The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder. But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say, "This is (but) transient magic."'

If the Sign is there, provide the evidence of it.

Dave Matson's picture
Man in search o...

Man in search o...

I get it. If we find something totally unscientific, like the moon splitting in half, you just call it a miracle! Jared gave you exactly what you asked for, an unscientific claim in the Quran. Now that they will all be declared miracles, that doesn't leave much room for discussion, does it?

Sheldon's picture
You don't get to dictate what

You don't get to dictate what people can discuss, and if you're going to make the absurd claim that vague platitudes in the koran represent scientific discoveries from that epoch, and by inferences evidence they could only have come from a deity, then anyone has the right to point out the parts of the koran that are risible nonsense, like exploding moons and flying horses.

arakish's picture
Jared Alesi

Jared Alesi

How about the fact that the moon never split in half?

Man in search o...

@ jared

The splitting of the moon is a miracle, i asked about scientific facts. Whether the moon split or not is not the topic of this thread. Please try sticking to the main topic and later on we can venture off to different topics or you can start your own thread and i will happily share my views and thoughts

@ Man in search of enlightenment

Boy my daughters when they were eight years old were more intelligent. Hell, they were more intelligent than I am today. The splitting of the moon would leave scientific facts that could be verified/falsified. Thus the science of whether the moon was split or not is the subject of this thread. Thus, when Jared Alesi asks, "How about the fact that the moon never split in half?" is within the subject of this thread.

Just more proof of how religion retards the mental faculties of reason, rationality, logic, deduction, critical thinking, and analytical thought. More proof of my claim that Absolutists abdicate and abandon such in exchange for faith, which is nothing more than the practice of training one's mind to ignore evidence, logic, and reason, while being able to believe in fairy tales, and being proud of it rather than ashamed.

rmfr

Sapporo's picture
The qur'an was wrong about

The qur'an was wrong about science in the same ways Aristotle was wrong about science a thousand years earlier. There is a reason for that.

Jared Alesi's picture
Yeah, considering formal

Yeah, considering formal science and the method used for wasn't invented for another two millennia.

Ramo Mpq's picture
@jared

@jared

"yeah, considering formal science and the method used for wasn't invented for another two millennia."

Then, disproving the Quran should be very easy since it came in way before the age of science and technology. What will a book revealed to a man that could not read nor write know about science?

Jared Alesi's picture
Being right by accident is

Being right by accident is not the same as a revealed truth. Most the fact claims of any given religious text are basic, and a rudimentary understanding of them was present in the populace. For example, the Bible mentioned stock breeding in Genesis, but that doesn't mean God had to reveal it to them. The Neolithic revolution happened because of the discovery of stock breeding. Want to impress someone? Find where Allah tells of microorganisms and the health benefits of hand washing. Guessing that humans came from water is hardly impressive, considering we need water to live.

Ramo Mpq's picture
@Jared

@Jared

Again, you are going way off topic and trying to change the subject and deflect. I issued a friendly challenge to all with a very simple request in it, either stick to that or kindly stop spamming the thread with off topic replies

Jared Alesi's picture
How am I off-topic? This is

How am I off-topic? This is pretty relevant.

Know that I would never intentionally spam or go off-topic to ruin threads. Any miscommunication is just that - miscommunication. I apologize for any confusion.

Dave Matson's picture
Man in search o...

Man in search o...

"What will a book revealed to a man that could not read nor write know about science?"

Not much, I suspect, because it was written by that man--not revealed to him. As I mentioned earlier, it's the old 20-20 hindsight game. I have yet to see any real science in the Quran. I've seen several claims, including one you made, but none of them ever got off of the ground. It's the old Nostradamus prophecy game, a game of 20-20 hindsight.

Ramo Mpq's picture
@ Sapporo

@ Sapporo

Just saying something is wrong does not prove its wrong. Please try and stick to the "rules" of the thread (if you want to cal them that) and lets focus on science. Not your opinion

Sapporo's picture
The quran's scientific errors

The quran's scientific errors are extensive and well-known to non-Muslims, I did not think I needed to list them. Here is a list of some of the most famous ones:
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Qur%27anic_scientific_errors

Ramo Mpq's picture
@Sapporo

@Sapporo

Honestly, between this and your last source you are just hopeless. Don't just copy and paste, go ahead and prove. Show something credible and scientific not these high school wiki pages. Are you afraid to actually do the work in fear of finding the truth? Yes, i am a Muslim know but i promise you that if i found something that made more scientific proof i will leave my religion in a heart beat.

Sapporo's picture
But that page includes

But that page includes examples of scientific errors in the qur'an. If your source is the qur'an, what is wrong with me giving you a page exactly fitting your inquiry, that references the qur'an?

The truth is, the science in the qur'an is often wrong, and you are afraid of reading a high school page that has a better understanding of science than the qur'an does.

mickron88's picture
@sapporo

@sapporo
i bet he's a science class drop-out...this is what happen when you skip class kids...

@Man in search
stop skipping classes....

bruh you only make fun of your self here..really

"your last source you are just hopeless."
seriously??

Sheldon's picture
If the humans who wrote the

If the humans who wrote the koran knew something modern science didn't discover for centuries, and we can't explain how, all we have is something we can't explain, it does not represent objective evidence for a deity. You're setting up a false dichotomy fallacy. As the choices are not limited to either prove nothing in the koran is true or a deity exists, that's irrational and risible.

algebe's picture
@Man in search

@Man in search

Surah Al-Hadid [57:25] says something about "sending down" iron. That's claimed as evidence that the author of the Quran knew that iron was formed in dying stars.

However, the reference can be explained by meteoric iron, which was well known for millennia before the Quran was written. There was a dagger made from meteoric iron in Tutankamun's tomb.

Do you have any other examples of so-called scientific knowledge in the Quran?

Ramo Mpq's picture
@Algebe,

@Algebe,

Thank you and finally someone stuck to the main topic.

Iron is not natural to the earth. It did not form on the earth but came down to earth from outer space. This may sound strange but it’s true.

Scientists have found that billions of years ago the earth was struck by meteorites. These meteorites were carrying Iron from distant stars which had exploded.

The Quran says the following on the origin of Iron:

“WE SENT DOWN IRON WITH ITS GREAT INHERENT STRENGTH AND ITS MANY BENEFITS FOR HUMANKIND”[57:25]

God uses the words ‘sent down’ for Iron. It is clear from the verse that Iron is not an earthly material, but was sent down for the benefit of humanity. The fact that Iron came down to earth from outer space is something which could not be known by the primitive science of the 7th century.

So the Quran saying "sent down" and you saying "There was a dagger made from meteoric iron" goes hand in hand together to further prove your statement as well as what's in the Quran

Thank you

algebe's picture
@Man in Search: billions of

@Man in Search: billions of years ago the earth was struck by meteorites.

The Earth is still being hit by meteorites. It happens all the time. It was common knowledge in the ancient world that rocks fell from the sky, and that many of them contained iron. There's nothing miraculous about that knowledge.

So how about this one? In 29:41 the Quran says that the spider has the weakest of homes. That's supposed to anticipate modern scientific knowledge about the spider's mating habits, which are deadly for the male. However, the Quran author apparently didn't know that spider silk is far stronger than steel of the same thickness. All he's saying is that the spider's home is easily smashed by a human being, which is just commonsense.

Pages

Donating = Loving

Heart Icon

Bringing you atheist articles and building active godless communities takes hundreds of hours and resources each month. If you find any joy or stimulation at Atheist Republic, please consider becoming a Supporting Member with a recurring monthly donation of your choosing, between a cup of tea and a good dinner.

Or make a one-time donation in any amount.