Scientific facts in the Quran revealed 1438 years ago - CHALLENGE

103 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nyarlathotep's picture
Man in search - Iron is not

Man in search - Iron is not natural to the earth

The Earth is more than 1/3 iron, by mass.

arakish's picture
Man in search - Iron is not

Man in search - Iron is not natural to the earth

And to back up Nyarlathotep...

The Earth as a whole consists of the following elements percentagewise:

1. Iron--32%
  2. Oxygen--30%
  3. Silicon--15%
  4. Magnesium--14%
  5. Sulfur--3%
  6. Nickel--2%
  7. Calcium--2%
  8. Aluminum--1%
  9. All others--1%

From "How Does The Earth Work" a college textbook I kept.

rmfr

arakish's picture
I know replying to myself...

I know replying to myself...

I just had this thought pop into my head while re-reading this thread. Notice the the 70+% of Nitrogen in the atmosphere falls into the "All others--1%" listing above.

Shows how very little atmosphere the Earth has "as a whole." Sobering.

rmfr

Dave Matson's picture
And, of course, all that iron

And, of course, all that iron that was later concentrated in the cores of asteroids, that were later shattered, came from the same dust cloud that supplied iron to the new earth.

Sapporo's picture
"And when the townclerk had

"And when the townclerk had appeased the people, he said, Ye men of Ephesus, what man is there that knoweth not how that the city of the Ephesians is a worshipper of the great goddess Diana, and of the image which fell down from Jupiter?" - Acts 19:35, many centuries before the qur'an was written.

Jared Alesi's picture
"Iron is not natural to the

"Iron is not natural to the earth. It did not form on the earth but came down to earth from outer space. This may sound strange but it’s true."

Given what we know about how planets form, this doesn't make sense. Planets form when cosmic debris is gathered together by its own gravity, meaning that a planet is just a sum of many constituents. For Earth, some of this was surely iron. Hence the iron in the crust of our planet. Meteoric iron is definitely a contributor, but saying iron is not natural to Earth is nonsensical. Iron can only be made through fusion, which doesn't occur on planets without technology. So of course iron isn't natural to Earth; it's natural to super giant stars.

Before the atmosphere, Earth was bombarded by many meteorites. Earth was also a giant ball of molten metal when it first reached planethood. A lot of that metal is iron, and the core is mostly a nickel and iron combo. Anything else?

Dave Matson's picture
Man in search o...

Man in search o...

What are you talking about? Iron is very much a natural part of the earth! It was a part of the dust clouds from which the earth formed. The iron reaching the earth later as meteorites is a tiny fraction of the iron earth began with. When the earth was still molten, most of its iron sank to the core where it remains to this day. But for our purposes plenty has remained as ore. The great iron mines of Michigan and other places mainly tapped into what is called the banded iron formations which formed when formerly dissolved iron in the ocean combined with rising oxygen levels (+possibly other factors) and settled out as "rust." I strongly recommend that you get a hold of a serious geology textbook or, more easily, check out some of the serious, university websites dealing with geology. The Quran is simply WRONG! Iron was a major part of the earth from the very start.

Sheldon's picture
"Iron is not natural to the

"Iron is not natural to the earth. I"

Yes it is, but most of it came from meteorites, composed primarily of the iron-nickel alloys: taenite (high nickel content) and kamacite (low nickel content). However, there are a few areas on earth where truly native iron can be found.

"“WE SENT DOWN IRON WITH ITS GREAT INHERENT STRENGTH AND ITS MANY BENEFITS FOR HUMANKIND”"

How does this evidence a deity? All your arguments seem to be logically fallacious appeals to ignorance, and false dichotomy fallacies. You've demonstrated no objective evidence for a deity or anything supernatural.

" It is clear from the verse that Iron is not an earthly material, but was sent down for the benefit of humanity."

It's clear that a religious book claims this, it's also wrong as there are also natural deposits of iron on the earth. Nothing supernatural and no deity is required for a meteorite to hit the earth.

Ramo Mpq's picture
@Agebe

@Agebe

I think you are confusing my request for scientific facts for miracles. The Quran does not claim that this was "miraculous" knowledge. Not every single verse in the Quran is "miraculous" revelation. The Quran is a way of life and it talks about how to live your life, interact with others, treat other, pray, give charity, be kind to neighbors, poor people and the orphans and so on.... and a lot of it is common sense to you and I today but that was not the case during those times. Back then prior to Islam slavery, rape and even burying your own daughter alive was a normal (and sick) practice. So what we consider common sense today was not common sense to the people of Arabia back then.

The verse about the spider's home was used as a metaphor because it compares disbelievers and polytheists, who seek protection and support in things or people rather than in Allah, to the spider that seeks refuge in its house, the flimsiest of houses. It wasn't brought down as what Muslim scholars consider scientific facts.

Sapporo's picture
False. The qur'an says it is

False. The qur'an says it is clear and plain.

"[We sent them] clear proofs and written ordinances. And We revealed to you the message that you may make clear to the people what was sent down to them and that they might give thought." - qur'an 16:44

"These are revelations of the Scripture that maketh plain." - qur'an 26:2

algebe's picture
@Man in Search: I think you

@Man in Search: I think you are confusing my request for scientific facts for miracles

And I think you claimed that the Quran contained scientific knowledge that could only have been known to its author through miraculous revelation. As soon as I challenged that notion with specific examples, you fall back on the excuse that a reference was only a "metaphor." Christians frequently employ the same tactic to explain away discrepancies in their Bible.

prior to Islam slavery, rape and even burying your own daughter alive was a normal (and sick) practice.

Well I'm afraid those and other horrors are still being practiced in the name of Islam today. What are your thoughts on child genital mutilation? How many more centuries will Islam need to stamp out that primitive cruelty?

Sapporo's picture
"Man should reflect on what

"Man should reflect on what he was created from. He is created from spurting fluid, preceding between the backbone and the ribs." (Quran 86:5-7)

This is false. Aristotle made the same error a thousand years earlier.

Jared Alesi's picture
I wonder if this stemmed from

I wonder if this stemmed from post-coital back pain.

Nyarlathotep's picture
Notice he is asking people to

Notice he is asking people to disprove facts. What he is asking for is non-sense; right out of the gate. But that wasn't enough:
---------------------------

Man in search - The verse about the spider's home was used as a metaphor...

Man in search - The splitting of the moon is a miracle...

---------------------------
Now we find out he is reserving the right to discard any discrepancy by labeling it a metaphor or a miracle!

arakish's picture
In all honesty, there are NO

In all honesty, there are NO scientific facts in the Qu'ran.

It is easy to read about a scientific fact, read something in a religious that "seems" to be stating the same thing. This is the 20/20 Hindsight concept of all prophecies. Nostradamus is perhaps the most widely known. People will read a "piece of text", use preposterous and fantastical interpretation, and then say, "See, it was already predicted/known many centuries ago."

It is very easy to say something predicted something AFTER the fact.

If it were truly prophetic, then it would never have been worded so vague that it could be applied to literally hundreds of anythings.

There is NO religious text that has anything factual in them. This includes the Qu'ran, Bible, Torah, Talmud, Bhagavad Gita, etc., etc., etc.

rmfr

Nyarlathotep's picture
Man in search - Wikipedia is

Man in search - Wikipedia is NOT a credible source on anything[.]

Man in search - Show something credible and scientific not these high school wiki pages.

Notice he is understandably skeptical of wiki pages that don't agree with his worldview. However:

Man in search - Srry i was wrong its 10 to the 164th power, and that's only the Probability of a Single Protein Forming by Chance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1_KEVaCyaA

Apparently: youtube is just fine!

Sapporo's picture
Wikipedia has been shown to

Wikipedia has been shown to be about as reliable as the Encyclopædia Britannica.

Both are more reliable than the qur'an.

Sapporo's picture
Unless the purpose of the

Unless the purpose of the thread is to test the qur'anic and scientific knowledge of members of this forum, I don't see why references to resources which directly address scientific errors in the qur'an would be less "credible" than a layperson here. If an argument has merit, it does not matter who says it.

There is a misconception about there being a taboo about using Wikipedia due to lack of credibility. If there is a taboo, it is more to do with it being a secondary or tertiary source of information.

Dave Matson's picture
The so-called scientific

The so-called scientific revelations in the Quran is the old game of 20-20 hindsight! Cite just one of those fabulous insights into modern science that inspired a leap of scientific knowledge ahead of its time. It's always after science does the hard work that these "insights" are discovered in the Quran, the Bible, in the dimensions of the Egyptian pyramids, or whatever. Even Nostradamus got in on the act! Fans of Nostradamus claim to find all kinds of modern knowledge tucked away in the Nostradamus verses! Sorry, but I'm not impressed by this kind of reasoning.

Sapporo's picture
Passing off incidents in the

Passing off incidents in the qur'an as miracles only confirms that the qur'an does indeed contain errors about science.

chimp3's picture
@man in search o: I doubt

@man in search o: I doubt very much that you are a scientist. Reading a book from the iron age does not qualify you to make scientific arguments.

Gods never know more than their creators know.

RANJEET's picture
@ Man In search of truth

@ Man In search of truth

I would like to issue a friendly challenge to you on these forums to present 1 scientific fact that has been 100% proven by religion. Please use credible sources when citing, Qur'an is NOT a credible source on anything

:D

watchman's picture
@ man in search of the truth

@ man in search of the truth ......

I'm very much afraid that you are far too late with this thread........ As you have been told ,"There are no scientific facts revealed in the Quran"......

If you are truly open to the truth....... check here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_LFByCaEaE

(Its only a "youtube" but it is from a reputable source...)

watchman's picture
@ man in search of the truth

@ man in search of the truth ......

Regarding your claims about iron...... and it being "sent down"..... As has been pointed out to you..... Iron is an intrinsic part of the earths make up..... there are known occurrences of iron bearing meteors falling to earth...and indeed these have been known about for millennia..... that is millennia thus long ,long before the appearance of the Quran ,Mohammed and Allah......

check out this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5mIkdG6khQ

LogicFTW's picture
Meh I do not know the Quran

Meh I do not know the Quran to well, and do not care to read it, even a highly translated/modernized version of it. Even if I did find something an easy response would be: well I meant version x, not y.

Also:
I am not aware of any scientific fact in the quran proven to be 100% true. I am not aware of any "scientific fact" at all that is considered 100% true. There is a reason why scientist use the word theory. Like: the theory of gravity, etc.

I find only religion and people in general deal with absolutes, science and the measure of nature around us realizes nothing is absolute.

Sheldon's picture
I'm afraid you're putting

I'm afraid you're putting your lame wheezy horse behind your cart. Theists do this all the time. Why would I care what is in the koran? I don't care if Mohammed cured cancer, that doesn't remotely evidence a deity or anything supernatural.

However I'm an open minded chap, so please feel free to demonstrate any objective evidence for the existence of any deity.

Grinseed's picture
Way back in 460 BC Democritus

Way back in 460 BC Democritus made the very specific claim that everything was comprised of individual tiny solid particles he called 'atoms' and all without the benefit of any scientific equipment. He was absolutely correct, but it was only speculation, not science. He was Greek armchair philosopher whose musings proved accurate.

Vaguely worded verses from both the bible and the koran have for a long time been held up as evidence of scientific proof handed down from heaven, but only after the age of reason in the west and the rise of the scientific method.

I recall a koran verse that stated the human body is made from a clot of blood and some bone, if I recall correctly, apologies for my faulty memory. The verse was held to be conclusive proof that god had shown how he had created man. People in those days would have accepted that blood and bone were component parts of the body. The Persian culture, despite burying baby girls alive, had universities and hospitals that the Islamic culture inherited and kept before Al-Ghazali led Islam away from natural philosophy to mysticism.
Ghazali, and William of Occam mostly agreed that mysteries of god and the natural philosophies should be kept separate.

Ramo Mpq's picture
Sorry for the late reply to

Sorry for the late reply to everyone. Work has facebook blocked which is how i log in to this website. I will begin addressing as many replies as i can.

Ramo Mpq's picture
@Saporo

@Saporo

"The qur'an also says man was made from clay."

The Quran says man was also made from dust as well. I implore you to watch the video below and please let me know what you think. The answer to what the Quran says in regards to what man was made from is answered in the first 4 mins of the video but, i would recommend you watch the full 10 mins video. I would love to hear what you have to say after you have watched it.

The accent isn't the easiest to understand but also not impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fw0LS1MnfE

arakish's picture
A Zakir Naik video? That guy

A Zakir Naik video? That guy is about as intelligent as toothpick.

rmfr

Pages

Donating = Loving

Heart Icon

Bringing you atheist articles and building active godless communities takes hundreds of hours and resources each month. If you find any joy or stimulation at Atheist Republic, please consider becoming a Supporting Member with a recurring monthly donation of your choosing, between a cup of tea and a good dinner.

Or make a one-time donation in any amount.